BACKGROUND ON TAMSA
Tanzania Medical Student Association (TAMSA) is a sole National Organization for medical Students. It is a professional organization that assembles all the medical students at national level under common umbrella with the purpose of promoting both excellent medical training as well as the medical students’ efforts in health education, promotion for betterment of our community. It was inaugurated in 1990s having originated from the Dar es Salaam Medical
Students’ Association (DMSA) which was established in 1968.
TAMSA unifies Medical Students from 7 Medical Schools founded in Tanzania. The following chapters are recognized by TAMSA:
• Muhimbili University of Health and allied Sciences (MUHAS)
• Hubert Kairuki Memorial University (HKMU)
• International Medical Technology University (IMTU)
• Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences- Bugando (CUHAS )
• Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC)
• University of Dodoma College of Health and Allied Sciences(UDOM-CHAS)
• St. Francis University College of Health Sciences-ifakara( SFUCHAS).
TAMSA headquarter is located at Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS).
The mission will be, to prepare and practically equip Medical Students in searching, identifying and learning how to face, solve and address the major community health problems in scientific and technological approach, such as research; plan and propose policy formation; taking part in both National and international professional conferences and paper presentations of various discipline. TAMSA will raise concern among stake holders (medical schools, ministry, and NGOs) to help support efforts of Medical students towards archiving her objectives.
TAMSA is a candidate member of the International Federation for Medical Students Associations (IFMSA); IFMSA is affiliated to the United Nations system as a non – political and non- governmental organization, and is recognized by the World Health Organization as an official International forum for Medical Students.